Friday, January 27, 2012

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro review

If you a trying to get into macro photography of photographing close up I would seriously recommend against purchasing this lens. I read many favorable reviews for the lens before purchasing it and most of them tell you how good it is. It is priced usually just under the $300 mark and I can see why. I have taken approximately 3000 photos with the same camera I take my other macro shots and would limit the photos that I would include on my blog to maybe 4.

Many of the images were taken with auto focus and were out of focus; these were taken over the full range not just the 200 – 300mm for macros. Taking photos with manual focus seemed no better, this is the first lens I have purchased that I seriously checked if it had some sort of protective film as seen on smart phone screens when you first purchase them.

Honestly my recommendation here would be to save up a little bit more and get a better lens, macro photography can be hard enough to do without the added problems of an inferior lens.  Opportunities with macro photography can come down to a split second with an insect which is about to fly away; therefore I would only use this lens if the insect was dead and I had time to set the camera on a tripod and take a couple of thousand shots.

What really concerns me however; if you read some of the reviews on it, is did they actually try the lens?

No comments:

Post a Comment